Before you run out and hire a lawyer in San Antonio and Bexar County, you should be armed with all the information the attorney needs to assess your case.
What to take to the first meeting
It is better to have too many documents than to have incomplete documentation or none at all. Here is a brief list of items you should take with you on your first meeting (which should be a free no obligation consultation).
Copies of the following documents
- claims already filed—either with your insurance company or your employer
- letters from your insurance company
- Accident reports or police reports
- Medical records—hospital, therapy or doctor
- Prognosis and diagnosis reports
- Medical bills
- Any information about anticipated future medical expenses
- Insurance coverage for your medical visits
- A listing of all important dates—injury, treatment, surgery
- A detailed list of how our life has been changed by your injury
- Provide information about work you missed as a result of your injury
These information and documents will help your attorney assess the validity of your claim and file for damages commensurate with your injuries. By having this documentation available your attorney is able to proceed with your claim quickly.
Often attorneys will send out a questionnaire asking for information prior to the meeting. If this happens, it is important to answer the questionnaire as completely as possible. Verify if the questionnaire should be brought on the day of the meeting or if it needs to be returned prior to the appointment day.
Being prepared for the actual appointment is just as important. There are things that you want to know and need to know about the attorney before you place your trust and confidence in him.
Questions to ask your San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney
- Do you specialize in personal injury cases?
- How many personal injury trials have you handled? How many did you win?
- How many years have you been in practice?
- Are there any problems you foresee with my case?
- What are my options?
- Do you usually represent defendants or plaintiffs?
- How will you handle my case and what is the process?
- How will you bill for your services?
- Is there a statue of limitations for when I must file a lawsuit?
- Will you be handling my case personally or will a support staff do it?
These questions are extremely important to ask. Not every lawyer is a personal injury specialist. You want to hire an attorney with a record of accomplishment of success. Even though most cases are settled out of court, the other side needs to know that your attorney is experience and is capable of winning at trial.
Since most personal injury attorneys are paid on a contingency basis, you most likely will not incur any out of pocket expenses. But always verify this with the attorney before you sign up.
If he operates on a contingency basis—you can surely afford to hire a San Antonio personal injury attorney. If you have been injured in Bexar County San Antonio call us 24 hours a day 7 days a week for a free no obligation consultation 1-888-817-4074.